Thursday, March 10, 2011

Story Songs...

"Got a job working for her aunt, graveyard shift down at the curing plant..."

How do you feel about story songs?

"Summer of 1978, my sister and I in the back seat, just wait. We spent the time by drawing lines on the seat that we can't cross...a thin line like dental floss..."

I used to skip them, move on, didn't want to make the commitment. Something about them made me a little bit uncomfortable, made me roll my eyes and say "oh, please."

And now? Now I kind of love them...

"Bought a few more pickled wieners and a diet chocolate soda, gonna see the Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota..."

It's like a musical short story, back story and foreshadowing and good characters...

"Sara spelled without an 'H' was getting bored on a Peavy amp in 1984, while Zak without a 'C' tried out some new guitars, playing Sara with no 'H's favorite songs..."

What's your favorite story song? Is it because of the music or the story? Maybe it's time for a story song play list...

Out

2 comments:

Kathy said...

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot. I like both the music and the lyrics.

I know this is an old ballad but it's still my favorite.

Viewtiful_Justin said...

Ooof. That's one that makes me INSTANTLY change the station. Sorry, but not my favorite. :-) I figured someone HAD to like it if it was still around.

How about Macarthur's Park. Love that one because it's so horrifying.