Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Late to the Party...

I'm not a trend setter. I'm just not. Change makes me squeamish and keeps me from sleeping. It takes me a long time to accept something as okay after it is introduced. And sometimes? Sometimes I'm just the last person to hear about things.

It seems like every trend I jump on is on its way out. By the time I say, "Oh, I could see myself wearing that..." it's already not cool anymore. I'm that guy.

It extends to television, as well. I think part of that is because we don't have TV at home. No channels. The television I watch is whatever's on at the laundromat every two weeks. Last night it was "How I Met Your Mother," as show I've never seen before. Now that I've seen it, though, I feel like I'm missing out on something everyone else has said was great for a few years.

We're currently watching a show on DVD that I'm not going to name, because I don't want anyone to know that we're watching it. No, I'm not ashamed. I just don't want people to spoil it. But we're way late to that party, too. It makes me wish I'd watched it when it was on, because then I could talk to people about what I think is going on. Instead, Robb and I banter back and forth about it and then we watch the next episode. I love that banter. But just think about how much more it could have been had we watched it when it was on!

I think not wanting to get TV at home is a solid decision. It used to eat my life. Oh, a Mythbuster's marathon? I'll sit and watch all day? 8 hours of Comedy Central stand-up? Why not! And then there's the, "OMG I have to stop what I'm doing right now because _____ is on!" thing. I'm happy not having that obligation, although with DVR and Hulu, that's quickly becoming passe. And then there's the Pushing Daisies syndrome. I find a show, I love it, I get attached, I proclaim it as the best show ever, and then it gets cancelled.

I hate getting dumped by a TV show.

So...yeah...I'm just not on the ball there.

And don't even get me started on current movies...

Out

3 comments:

Emily said...

we're consistently behind, too. No reception does that to a person. How I Met Your Mother is fun, but I've only seen the first season or two.

And I totally commiserate re: pushing daisies. It's yet another reason I prefer to wait and watch the whole series start-to-finish on DVD/streaming on netflix.

If you missed The West Wing, I HIGHLY recommend it.

Happy viewing!

Bryan Ochalla said...

Did you give up TV recently, Justin, or has it been a while? Either way, I commend you! The hubs and I have been thinking about giving up cable for some time -- and going w/ Hulu and Netflix instead -- but we've been too chicken. I like the idea of not becoming a zombie to the boob tube, though. Like you said, sometimes you watch it for hours on end for no reason at all. "Nothing's on? Oh, let's watch two hours of 'House Hunters' episodes then!" Sigh.

Viewtiful_Justin said...

We haven't had TV for almost four years. I'm okay with that. We've got Netflix streaming, too. A friend let us in on his password, so we can see anything that's streaming at any time through our Wii (when it's not being fickle)...I'd recommend it.