Tuesday, October 20, 2009

National Crazy Month...

NaNoWriMo is almost upon us. I am both giddy and terrified. So...you know...nothing special.

For those of you not in-the-know, NaNoWriMo is short for National Novel Writing Month. Every year I, along with a hundred thousand other crazy nutbars, write a 50,000 word novel in the month of November. Want more info? http://www.nanowrimo.org

You'll be glad you did it! I've written three complete novels in three years, and I'm hoping for a fourth.

What kind of novels, you ask?

The first year I wrote a road trip story. DePaul to UCLA loosely along Rt. 66. There was pot smoking, fights, a pregnancy, scorpions vs. cheerleaders, and a man who was not who he said he was...oh, and a house fire.

The second year I wrote a novel of horror and interior decorating. Hauntings, bad smells, a skeptical husband, a cute daughter, and the mystery of that tiny room in the basement...oh, and a house fire.

The third year I wrote a novel about a woman who has an affair with the guy that runs the arcade and her son who is gay and how they both find out what the other is doing. It had Dungeons and Dragons, bigotry, Ms. Pac Man, adultery, laughter, dating, and fake internet personals...oh, and a house fire.

This year will be the first novel that doesn't have a house fire, I think. Although...maybe I'll squeeze one in just for good measure. If I write about the current idea I have, it will be Jesus in space. Trust me. It's a scream!

I look forward to it (and dread it) every year, and this one is no exception. Is anyone with me on that?

Out

8 comments:

KellyMellyBoBellyBananaFanna said...

crikey, no way. INTIMIDATING! but i will fully support you, big j.

by the way, where can i read these novels of yours?! you can't tease like that without offering the goods! i wanna hear more about the gay arcade kid...

kelly
http://tearinguphouses.blogspot.com

A human kind of human said...

"...it will be Jesus in space. Trust me. It's a scream!" This confuses me, so please tell more... or am I as per usual missing something important?

Viewtiful_Justin said...

@Kelly - I think it's funny how interested people are in that last novel, seeing as how I don't think it's the best of the lot.

@human - You're not missing anything. I'm planning on taking Jesus and his disciples into space, writing the lost gospel of rocketfire or something...I just meant it would be screaming funny.

KellyMellyBoBellyBananaFanna said...

i heart you, justin. seriously.

kelly

Christa said...

Oh, jesus. I needed that chuckle. Thank you! You must tell us about Jesus in space. . . I must know.

Madeleine said...

I'm so glad I found this blog because next month may just be perfect for my first NaNoWriMo experience. How do you keep your sanity though?! ;-)

Viewtiful_Justin said...

@ MAdeline - I have a support group that's just as crazy as I am. We're the DeKalb Wrimos.

Argent said...

Your new novel sounds great! but where can we read the others?????

I'd love to have a go at NaNoWriMo but doubt I could come up with anything vaguesly resebling a novel in that time.

We DEMAND to read the new one though - pleeeeezzee