Thursday, May 5, 2011

About Jury...

I promise this is the last I'll say about this. Maybe.

Jury duty is over. We reached our verdict. We got a free lunch. He got a slap on the wrist, basically. The court system is so slow that the defendant and his ex wife get along now. So the court case was sort of irrelevant, honestly. That's why the judge didn't give him much of a sentence. Thankfully. Because, honestly, determining the guilt of someone isn't too hard with the evidence they give you. It's making everyone else stop looking at all the shit that doesn't matter and focus on the evidence and testimony that they told us to analyze that sucks.

At one point we were arguing over an "FS" at the end of a text message. It doesn't mean anything to anyone. They didn't address it in the trial. So...why are we spending 20 minutes speculating about what it means? One guy just would NOT let it go. But...we got there. I had to lay it out for them at one point. "My opinion about what is harassment doesn't matter. It' the law's opinion that matters, and the definition is right there in black and white. As such, this text message IS harassment under an order of protection. Plain and simple."

That still didn't do it. We had lunch, and when we came back, everyone was in agreement.

On the way in that morning, I got stared at by a HUGE man in a yellow (not orange) jumpsuit, arm and leg cuffs, and a beard. He wouldn't break eye contact. It freaked me out. *shiver*

But it's over. I made $37.50. $47.50 if you count the $10 bill I found the first day. And all-in-all, it was a pretty positive experience. I'd do it again.

Out

3 comments:

Bryan Ochalla said...

Interesting! I didn't realize from your earlier posts that you had been selected. Anyway, sounds like it was an interesting, if somewhat frustrating, experience. And you found $10 on the first day? Even better :)

Adorably Dead said...

As much fun as a reenactment of 12 angry men would be, I would actively have looked for ways to get out of it. :p

Viewtiful_Justin said...

Nah. It was okay. I gave them plenty of reasons not to pick me, but they picked me anyway...