Tuesday, May 10, 2011

And I Ran...

Iran's SO far away! What?

Today...today I started running. Officially. Sort of. I still need to go get some better shoes. I have my old running shoes from college that weren't even originally mine. SO...that's a big one.

Let me tell you about running. For the first thirty seconds, you feel like the best person in the world. Doubt creeps in at about the 45 second mark. And then after that, it's just trying not to die while staring at your feet to make sure your legs aren't ACTUALLY catching on fire like they feel. Yeah...I think I pushed it a little too hard. But hey, it's something. It was maybe a 15 minute run/walk, which is 5 minutes less than recommended for beginners, but...I'm WAY not in shape, cardiovascularly speaking, anyway.

I've come to the conclusion that people who run are robots. They HAVE to be! Who pushes themselves that one more mile after the first minute feels so terrible?! I mean...I know they started the same place I did. Burning. Choking. Wanting to lie on the next available lawn and be eaten by ants. While I was running, I just felt so bad...I'm 28 years old, and I can't run around the block without feeling like I need to die.

But then...as I rounded the corner and came home, I felt it. That...satisfaction. I did it. I went for a run. I didn't die. And I think I might do it again Thursday. Three days a week for twenty minutes to start. Then? We shall see. It can only get easier from here on out, right? Right? Right?

So...there's that.

Out

2 comments:

Bryan Ochalla said...

Oh, I know that feeling well -- the feeling of wanting to plop onto the next lawn because your legs (or lungs) can't take it anymore.

Anyway, good for you! I hope you *do* go out again on Thursday -- and let us know afterwards how it went, of course :)

Viewtiful_Justin said...

I shall.