Monday, March 1, 2010

My Mother's Son...

This weekend was much needed. Not that it was really a break from anything...

Saturday night I went out to a friend's, and we just vegged out and played video games, talked about the Olympics, laughed, and basically just had a good time. I needed it, for sure.

Sunday I gave a friend a ride to church. After the service my mom came up and delivered me a shit ton of groceries: juice, bread, eggs, soup, chicken, hamburger, frozen dinners, vegetables, jelly, salsa, and a whole mess of other things. It most definitely threw a wrench into my eating cycle.

Am I the only one who has an eating cycle?

I map out what I think I'll be eating for a while based on what's good in the fridge. Like, "Oh, we made that stir fry on Wednesday, so I'll be having leftovers from that for lunch on Thursday and Friday. But there's still some pasta from Monday, so I should eat that first. But I really want that pizza."

Am I the only one who does that? I just hate it when food goes bad. I'd rather have a leftover party than throw ANYTHING away.

Luckily, a lot of the stuff my mom brought is frozen, so there's no eat by date on those. I'm just grateful I have a mom who cares enough to help us out in hard times. AND who takes me out to lunch! I miss eating out. When I find a job I'm SO going out to eat every day for a week.

Before she left we were talking about the Pell Grant and how now might be a good time to think about going back to school. She said, "And it probably wouldn't hurt to tell them you're gay. It's two steps away from being a single black mother!" When she was leaving I got out of her truck and shut the door, but it didn't close all the way. I opened it again and she laughs at me and goes, "God, you don't have to shut the door like a gay guy!"

She's awesome. Pretty much the best mom ever.

Out

8 comments:

Bryan Ochalla said...

Ha ha! Your mom sounds great :)

Oh, and you're definitely not alone when it comes to having an eating cycle/schedule. I have a feeling mine is stranger than yours, though. I don't really plan my eating around what's in the fridge (the hubs and I live like Europeans - i.e., the fridge is almost always nearly empty). Instead, I have the exact same breakfast and lunch for weeks on end -- until I get sick of them and move on to something else.

Yeah, I'm weird :)

Viewtiful_Justin said...

Actually, I do that from time to time, too. I like to have the same thing for breakfast every morning, and I used to eat a yogurt, a banana, and a bottle of water every day for lunch. Some days I'd slip in a candy bar or a donut, too. People at work used to think I was a huge health nut and make fun of me for it. But, really, I just did it because it was cheap and I didn't have to spend any time thinking about it.

Argent said...

Yeah, the tyranny of the fridge! I have to eat x before it goes bad but I really don't fancy x right now, can't think what made me buy it in the first place...yadda yadda. I enjoy good food but I am lazy so frozen dinners are the way forward for me. Your mom is great. I used to do care packages like that for a friend of mine who was unemployed. It felt good to be able to help in a practical way.

Nicole said...

Your mom ia great! And funny too!

Chad said...

Hey.

Radio commercial said they're hiring temp help for census work. (www.2010censusjobs.gov)

I'd think that having worked in a bank would prove that you're detail oriented and good with numbers.

The pay rate range for the area I'm guessing you're in is from $15-$18.25/hr w/expense reimbursement.

I'm guessing the higher rate areas are those where you're likely to be robbed, beaten, and/or passed around like a peace-pipe...but maybe you'd come across a "help wanted" window sign at some place you'd consider as a permanent position.

You should throw a post on here saying what your areas of interest are. Maybe someone near you knows of something that would align with those interests.

Good luck in the job hunt. Don't forget to treat mom to a nice evening when you land one!

Chad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chad said...

My bad. Computer was being slow and I hit "publish your comment" an extra time...

Viewtiful_Justin said...

Thanks, Chad! I appreciate that immensely!