Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Beginning...



As I sit here with the ache of cold in my hands, something I always feel when I use the computer or play video games, for some reason, I am longing for a time when I have to shut the windows to keep the heat out. This winter doesn't feel near as long as the last one, but last year (if you go back to read my older posts, you'll see my outrage) it snowed in early May. The fifth, I think.

I find myself standing in the horizontal stripes of brightness and warmth when the sun sneaks in through the blinds. I always feel like a cat when I hunch my back to absorb the heat, smiling and wishing the patch were just a little bigger so I could fit my whole body into it. I shouldn't miss the sun enough to want to bask this much.

Why do I still live in the Midwest?

It's a black hole. You never get away. My step-grandparents moved to Florida for thirty years. They're back, now. Must be senility...

It's hard to imagine you'll ever live somewhere warm enough when your boyfriend thinks fifty degrees is too hot.

Out

1 comment:

Cecilia Levy said...

So strange that it seems to be even colder where you are! Here the sun shone today - when I looked up at the treetops I could imagine it was summer, the light was the same. But the ground is still covered with snow...