Monday, March 16, 2009

Who Is Watching...

...The Watchmen.

The boy and I went to see Watchmen on Saturday night. I was fairly impressed with how closely it followed the graphic novel, having just finished reading that. They made some fairly stupid choices, though, such as changing Bubastis's color for no reason and blaming John for the nuclear blasts rather than banding the world against a different outside force. Although that one I could understand...

Anywho, I swore I wouldn't talk about the blue junk, but I can't resist. It wasn't really all that noticeable or distracting. Until. There was a scene near the end of the movie where he was walking towards the camera, and the realistic juggle animation was only slightly less distracting than Lori's coochie-cutting bodysuit. How'd you like to have been the guy who has to animate Dr. Manhattan's jiggling blue junk? Yikes.

As far as violence? It's an adaptation of a graphic novel, so it's what you'd expect: definitely gory, in a comic-book way. Be prepared to see some bone, some muscle, and some splatter.

I'd say, if you've read the graphic novel, fork out the cash to see it in theaters. If not, it may be a little dense for your tastes. Overall? I'd give it eight jiggling blue junks out of ten.

Out

9 comments:

Argent said...

You do realise, don't you, that I'm now going to spend the entire movie waiting for the jiggling blue junk?

I'm hoping to see this (the movie! the movie!) as I loved the graphic novel.

Mo said...

Must check out this movie

Viewtiful_Justin said...

Yes, you must!

And Argent? Trust me, there's plenty to look at in the movie that will keep you distracted from the jiggle. It's got great effects.

Argent said...

I'm re-reading the graphic novel to get back into the story - it's still great!

Faux Trixie said...

Okay, I don't get the hype. I hear it was VERY TRUE to the graphic novel. This would be good, had I read the graphic novel, which I did not. The whole time I was watching it, I was wondering when the actual plot was going to kick in, as half the movie was character development.

On that note, while I appreciate character development, I felt that it was done poorly in this movie, as it didn't help to add to the running storyline. It was like, "thanks for all the background info... what does this have to do with anything?"

Also, I felt like character development was way lacking in the main characters, aside from Rorshach and Manhattan. I don't even know the name of the guy with glasses or why the guy with the weird ears was killed.

Finally, um, the blue wang... so DISTRACTING. My boyfriend made a good point: "Any guy that takes a date to this movie is going to feel really inadequate."

So, those are my thoughts. If you didn't read the novel, wait for DVD.

Viewtiful_Justin said...

There you go. I agree that the character development didn't really do much to forward the plot (which, I also agree, was slow). But the sotry isn't so much about what happens as it is about who these people are and how they sort of came to an end.

Faux Trixie said...

I guess I can understand that to a certain extent, and that's fine. Here's my beef: If the story is about the characters, don't throw in the plot the nuclear holocaust, or cut out more character development to focus on the plot. I know that it was a great adapation of the novel, but it need to translate to people who haven't read the book, and it just didn't. In fact, had the movie been good, I probably would've picked up the book... but as it stands, I'm turned off from that now. It's too bad, because I hear it's amazing.

Viewtiful_Justin said...

I agree that it wasn't that great of an interpretation for people who haven't read it...which is why I said if you haven't read it, I'd skip the movie.

Faux Trixie said...

haha, touche. Sorry, I was just so disappointed! The concept was so awesome, and I was let down.