Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Lovely Walk...With...Photos?

So, the boy and I decided to take a walk last night after dinner. It was nice. We strolled the neighborhood, chatting, laughing, and looking at each other fondly. It was not unlike a Valtrex commercial.

I stopped to take a photo. It took. I stopped to take a second photo. BEEP BEEP BEEP!

What?

Flick camera on and then off again.

BEEP BEEP BEEP! CARD NOT INITIALIZED!

Umm...who says? It just took a photo. It was fine thirty seconds ago!

BEEP BEEP BEEP!

I wanted to hurl it against the pavement and skip home singing.

BEEP BEEP BEEP!

I took it apart, took out the battery, took out the memory card, flicked it on, pressed buttons, everything...nothing.

BEEP BEEP BEEP!

Seriously...I wanted to scream. There were 204 photos on the card, and now it said there were ZERO. All of a sudden my camera got Alzheimer's and forgot that it knew my memory card, that they'd shared vacations and dinners and bike rides together. All gone.

BEEP BEEP BEEP!

So I put it in my pocket and grumped home. When I got there, I jammed it on my charger after rebooting MY computer, which had gotten stuck trying to go into sleep mode (it's newest charming trick). While I waited, I tried my other memory card.

Everything was fine. It remembered. It welcomed.

So I put the other one back in for fun.

BEEP BEEP BEEP!

Ugh. Really? At this point I wondered what was lost...when was the last time I uploaded? Weeks ago? Two? Three?

BEEP BEEP BEEP!

Finally my computer was back, so I jammed the camera on the charger again and told it to transfer photos. It transferred all 204 of them off the card. Then, I took it off the charger and turned it on.

Boop Boop Beep. Everything's fine.

WTF, camera?!

Let's hope it doesn't have a repeat performance tomorrow. Robb is home from work for an eye appointment and then we're going into the city to meet a friend for lunch.

Right now? It's off to finish the last 6 pages of Script Frenzy!

Out

7 comments:

KellyMellyBoBellyBananaFanna said...

Ahhh, the wonders of technology...

Kelly

Bryan Ochalla said...

Ah, my laptop likes getting stuck while going into sleep mode, too. I wonder if it's some kind of conspiracy?

Viewtiful_Justin said...

I dunno. I've got Windows XP. You?

Argent said...

Technology? Dont get me started!

Bryan Ochalla said...

Yep, I'm an XP user, too. It *is* a conspiracy ;)

Stan said...

Every once in a while my camera says "no batteries" even with new or recharged ones. Take them out put back and everything is fine.....sometimes. Meanwhile usually the moment has passed to take the photo......great!

Viewtiful_Justin said...

I got rid of a camera that was doing the same thing, Stan.